vrijdag 15 februari 2008

Atlantic Civilization - Andre Fougeron


Three years ago I went to London with my best friend and we visited the museum Tate Modern. As the name already shows, it’s a museum of modern art. Normally I’m not really a fan of modern art, because I find it al little too abstract. But when I saw Atlantic Civilization made by Andre Fougeron, I found it amazing. The painting has something to say and I think the meaning behind a painting defines it as real art. I thought it was a very interesting painting because there were a lot of bad things in the world but the sky was beautiful blue. It intrigued me and I looked up more information about it.

The painting presents the Atlantic civilization, it’s Fougeron’s key work of social criticism. It shows us the increasing Americanisation of Europe and the Cold War. You also see things like guns and even an electric chair. This apparently refers to the execution of the Rosenbergs in June 1953 for spying for the USSR. It is said that Fougeron painted it in such a simplistic way, because he wanted to refers to the comic-strip of America, it’s an attack on the American culture. He makes fun of capitalism too with the business man doffing his hat to the American car. The painting also refers to the French colonial wars in Indo-China and in North Africa.

I know this painting is a little eccentric , but I like it and I hope you do too.


Kathleen De Roey

Geen opmerkingen: